Originally published on Forrester by Jay McBain, Principal Analyst, Channel Partnerships & Alliances
If you haven’t listened to a podcast yet, you’re now in the minority.
According to Podcast Insights, 51% of the US population has listened to at least one podcast. Since the first podcast came on the scene in 2004, there are now over 750,000 podcast shows with over 30 million episodes.
What’s behind this massive growth?
Smartphones are having the biggest impact by allowing you to listen to podcasts anywhere and anytime. As an extension of the smartphone, advancements in headphone technology such as wireless, noise-canceling, water resistance, and ease of use are driving new fans. The growth of personal digital assistants at home, including Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Apple’s Siri, are furthering accessibility. Finally, the proliferation of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into new cars is broadening access to optimal listening times.
Podcast listeners are also loyal fans. Over 80% of listeners listen to seven shows per week — and they listen to all or most of each episode, which can range from a few minutes to multiple hours.
The explosion in podcasting hasn’t gone unnoticed by channel leaders.
Want to guess how many channel podcasts are out there today? Before we started our research for this article, we guessed at about a dozen. After a week of hunting and asking channel professionals, we compiled a list of 64!
Topics range from channel technology news and trends to building channel partnerships and partner businesses. Channel podcast hosts include some of the biggest names in the channel industry. These movers and shakers recognize the power of this medium to educate and share ideas. For example, Rob Spee started his podcast, Channel Journeys, after getting hooked on an ocean sailing podcast. He saw the potential for sharing his channel knowledge while learning from and connecting with other channel experts.
Why should you start listening to channel podcasts? Here are five reasons:
- Educate and entertain yourself. You can increase your channel and tech knowledge at home, at work, in the car, and at the gym. Podcasts are a great way to pass the time while you’re stuck in traffic, putting in the miles on the treadmill, or sitting on the beach.
- Build your channel network. On these channel podcasts, you’ll listen to a long list of channel chiefs and influencers. You can be part of the community and feel connected to the host and their guests. After the show, you have a great reason to reach out and connect with the people you hear.
- Increase your channel net worth. Channel podcasts help you stay current on latest channel trends, technologies, and opportunities. After a few episodes, you’ll have valuable ideas to expand your business, impress your boss, or share with your team.
- Chart your channel journey. Whether you are brand-new to the channel or have been in it for years, you can learn from the career journeys of podcast hosts and guests. There are even channel podcasts specifically for young professionals looking to grow.
- Get inspired. Channel podcasts will inspire you to take your channel business and your channel career to the next level. They are usually presented in story format, which is more engaging and leads to better retention.
With 64 channel podcasts (and counting), there’s something for everyone. Check out our list and try out various podcasts until you find the ones with the style and content that suit you best. We’ve organized them by content type to help you choose.
Follow the links to the show sites or your favorite podcast player. Seventy-three percent of the Channel Journeys audience listen on Apple Podcasts, but we see listeners using many other players including Spotify, SoundCloud, Castbox, Pocket Casts, and Stitcher. If you enjoy what you hear, be sure to leave a rating and review to help inspire other channel pros to listen, too.
Know of a channel podcast that we missed? Let us know, and we’ll add it to the list.